BOOKS AND BLOGGING PHILOSOPHY

Philosophy is defined as a theory underlying or regarding a sphere of activity or thought. Well, my theory is if I can add at least 10 new books to my Wishlist and move at least 5 older Wishlist selections to my TBR list every month, then life is a ice cream sundae. And if I can find those 10 books from at least 5 new blogs each month then that's the cherry on top.

NEW VISITORS AND OLD- WELCOME!

NEW VISITORS AND OLD- WELCOME!
Well, I've made it almost 5 years now, so for better or worse, I continue on. I tend to blog in spurts as the urge to be creative erupts. As I don't have an artistic bone in my body, you will see very few changes in the layouts. Hey, I'm a reader not an artist like so many of the awesome bloggers I follow. I know you don't always have the time but if you stopped and looked, take a half a minute and say your piece. Recommend a book that you have enjoyed or hated for that matter. Thank you to all who visit.
Oh, and I moved my Google Friend Connect info and share this buttons to the top, as without our friends, who are we?


Tuesday, January 12, 2010

The Midnight Guardian: A Millennial Novel by Sarah Jane Stratford




The Midnight Guardian: A Millennial Novel
by Sarah Jane Stratford
Edition: Hardcover
Rating * * * 1/2
Date Reviewed 11/1/2009

"Stratford's debut, the first in the Millennial series, matches up two groups of smug, self-righteous evildoers: Nazis, who want to "purify" the human race, and all-powerful vampires, who want to consume it. In 1939, Brigit, a vampire who has earned awesome powers by surviving over a thousand years, and her fellow millennials seek to bring down the Nazis, primarily to prevent another war that might diminish their human food supply. Despite the vampires' powers of suggestion and superhuman strength, the Nazi war machine will not be easily broken. Digressions into Brigit's past dig deep into vampire lore and provide emotional heft with sensuous descriptions of love, music, hate and death that evoke early Anne Rice, but readers will be frustrated by the lack of sympathetic characters and the complicated, unresolved plot."

 Vampires and Nazis and Blood oh My!
This is more of a 3 3/4 star book, just not quite a 4. It took me a while to get into this book, but I really hated to see it end once I did. For some reason I never completely forgot that I was reading a book and I feel that I have to in order for it to be a 5 star book. A lot of the storyline takes place in flashbacks and I didn't find this transition to be very smooth. It takes place during the beginning of WWII as the vampires take on the Nazis with their attempt to stop another World War. They know by experience that another war will greatly affect their food supply so must undertake positions as spies to prevent this from happening. The pace really sped up at the end and I hated to put it down at this point. The book was filled with details and shows again the horror of man's inhumanity to man. I truly hope that Stratford has more books in this series as once I finished it, I immediately marked it as a reread.

No comments: