BOOKS AND BLOGGING PHILOSOPHY

Philosophy is defined as a theory underlying or regarding a sphere of activity or thought. Well, my theory is if I can add at least 10 new books to my Wishlist and move at least 5 older Wishlist selections to my TBR list every month, then life is a ice cream sundae. And if I can find those 10 books from at least 5 new blogs each month then that's the cherry on top.

NEW VISITORS AND OLD- WELCOME!

NEW VISITORS AND OLD- WELCOME!
Well, I've made it almost 5 years now, so for better or worse, I continue on. I tend to blog in spurts as the urge to be creative erupts. As I don't have an artistic bone in my body, you will see very few changes in the layouts. Hey, I'm a reader not an artist like so many of the awesome bloggers I follow. I know you don't always have the time but if you stopped and looked, take a half a minute and say your piece. Recommend a book that you have enjoyed or hated for that matter. Thank you to all who visit.
Oh, and I moved my Google Friend Connect info and share this buttons to the top, as without our friends, who are we?


Saturday, January 30, 2010

The Iron King by Julie Kagawa

The Iron King (Iron Fey #1)

Author: Julie Kagawa
Rating: * * * 1/2
Reviewed on 1/30/2010
Reading level: Young Adult
Paperback: 368 pages
Publisher: Harlequin; Original edition (February 1, 2010)
ISBN-13: 978-0373210084


    "MEGHAN CHASE HAS A SECRET DESTINY— ONE SHE COULD NEVER HAVE IMAGINED…
    Something has always felt slightly off in Meghan’s life, ever since her father disappeared before her eyes when she was six. She has never quite fit in at school…or at home.
    When a dark stranger begins watching her from afar, and her prankster best friend becomes strangely protective of her, Meghan senses that everything she’s known is about to change.
    But she could never have guessed the truth—that she is the daughter of a mythical faery king and is a pawn in a deadly war. Now Meghan will learn just how far she’ll go to save someone she cares about, to stop a mysterious evil no faery creature dare face…and to find love with a young prince who might rather see her dead than let her touch his icy heart."
    I went into this book expecting to really love it. Instead, I liked it a lot. I loved the descriptive powers of Kagawa as she took me away to Faeryland and I immediately fell in love with the snarky cat, Grimalkin.  Unfortunately, he stole the whole show.  I was not totally sold on Meghan as a character and really didn't connected with her. This may be because it is a YA book but generally I love them as much as the adult driven fiction. I loved the action and adventure in the story much more than the romance. I especially loved Kagawa's explanation of why and who the Iron King was. Another interesting character or characters i should say, were the "packrats". I can see them playing a much bigger role in upcoming books. Even though I had no problem laying this book down each night, I look forward to the upcoming sequels.  While I can recommend this book to cat lovers for the rest of you get it at the library and wait on the next book in this series.


    The Iron Fey Series
    1. Iron King
    2. The Iron Daughter


    3 comments:

    Donna said...

    I'm looking forward to reading this one. I just got my copy today.

    I find when reading YA I don't always go for the romance between the couples.

    Very nice review!

    Jo said...

    Great review, Lisa! I also thought the pack rats were pretty cute! I have to say, I didn't "feel" any romance in this novel, I didn't believe it. But like you, I will continue reading to see where this series goes. Thanks for the review!

    Wolfswan1 said...

    I have had these on my Tbr forever. Thanks for the review and reminding me why they are on my TBR to begin with.