BOOKS AND BLOGGING PHILOSOPHY

Philosophy is defined as a theory underlying or regarding a sphere of activity or thought. Well, my theory is if I can add at least 10 new books to my Wishlist and move at least 5 older Wishlist selections to my TBR list every month, then life is a ice cream sundae. And if I can find those 10 books from at least 5 new blogs each month then that's the cherry on top.

NEW VISITORS AND OLD- WELCOME!

NEW VISITORS AND OLD- WELCOME!
Well, I've made it almost 5 years now, so for better or worse, I continue on. I tend to blog in spurts as the urge to be creative erupts. As I don't have an artistic bone in my body, you will see very few changes in the layouts. Hey, I'm a reader not an artist like so many of the awesome bloggers I follow. I know you don't always have the time but if you stopped and looked, take a half a minute and say your piece. Recommend a book that you have enjoyed or hated for that matter. Thank you to all who visit.
Oh, and I moved my Google Friend Connect info and share this buttons to the top, as without our friends, who are we?


Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Wildthorn by Jane Eagland

Title: Wildthorn
Author: Jane Eagland
Genre: YA Historical
Rating: * * * 1/2
Publishers Date: September 6, 2010
Hardback: 352 pages
Publisher: Houghton Mifflin
ISBN: 0547370172
FTC Disclosure: e-copy from Net Galley

They strip her naked, of everything-undo her whalebone corset, hook by hook. Locked away in Wildthorn Hall—a madhouse—they take her identity. She is now called Lucy Childs. She has no one; she has nothing. But, she is still seventeen-still Louisa Cosgrove, isn't she? Who has done this unthinkable deed? Louisa must free herself, in more ways than one, and muster up the courage to be her true self, all the while solving her own twisted mystery and falling into an unconventional love . . . 
Louisa knows that she is different from most girls in that she doesn’t want to get married or have kids. Her dream is to follow in her father’s footsteps and become a doctor, something almost unheard of in this time. Luckily her intelligence and knowledge of medicine is the only thing that keeps her from becoming a fixture at the asylum, Wildthorn. The storyline moved along at a satisfying pace and the incredible uncompassionate treatment of mental patients was shockingly horrible. Though a YA book, I think it more suited to older teens rather than the early teens.
I do so love historical fiction and this one broached a subject I know I’ve never read in a book before, the treatment of women in mental institutions in the Victorian era. The author had a great feel for the Victorian era and especially for the plight of women. There was also a big mystery as to why Louisa was sent there to begin with. While this wasn’t a great read, I did enjoy it. Would I tell everyone to rush out and get a copy, probably not but I didn’t feel that my time was wasted reading it either. While there was a subject matter addressed (and I can’t say what because I don’t want to spoil it for you) in an attempt to make the storyline different, I don’t really think it added a whole lot. This issue was only slightly resolved and would have made little difference if left out (unless there will be another book). The romance is very low keyed and I’d consider this book more of a historical fiction that romance. 

2 comments:

Stacie said...

This book looks really interesting. I love historical fiction too. Mental institutions during the Victorian time seems like a very unique subject to have the story line revolve around. Will definitely have to read this one :)

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

It sounds fascinating! I love Historical fiction that sheds light on the darker aspects of the past, so I'm sure I'd like this book. It's just too bad that you don't feel the story was resolved properly, especially if it's really big mystery.

Thanks for the review!