BOOKS AND BLOGGING PHILOSOPHY

Philosophy is defined as a theory underlying or regarding a sphere of activity or thought. Well, my theory is if I can add at least 10 new books to my Wishlist and move at least 5 older Wishlist selections to my TBR list every month, then life is a ice cream sundae. And if I can find those 10 books from at least 5 new blogs each month then that's the cherry on top.

NEW VISITORS AND OLD- WELCOME!

NEW VISITORS AND OLD- WELCOME!
Well, I've made it almost 5 years now, so for better or worse, I continue on. I tend to blog in spurts as the urge to be creative erupts. As I don't have an artistic bone in my body, you will see very few changes in the layouts. Hey, I'm a reader not an artist like so many of the awesome bloggers I follow. I know you don't always have the time but if you stopped and looked, take a half a minute and say your piece. Recommend a book that you have enjoyed or hated for that matter. Thank you to all who visit.
Oh, and I moved my Google Friend Connect info and share this buttons to the top, as without our friends, who are we?


Monday, August 30, 2010

Life As We Know It by Susan Beth Pfeffer

Title: Life As We Knew It
Author: Susan Beth Pfeffer 
Genre: YA Post-apocalyptic
Rating: * * * *
Publishers Date: May 1, 2008
Paperback: 360 pages
Publisher: Graphia
ISBN: 0152061541
FTC Disclosure: Mine

Miranda's disbelief turns to fear in a split second when an asteroid knocks the moon closer to the earth. How should her family prepare for the future when worldwide tsunamis wipe out the coasts, earthquakes rock the continents, and volcanic ash blocks out the sun? As summer turns to Arctic winter, Miranda, her two brothers, and their mother retreat to the unexpected safe haven of their sunroom, where they subsist on stockpiled food and limited water in the warmth of a wood-burning stove. In her journal, Miranda records the events of each desperate day, while she and her family struggle to hold on to their most priceless resource--hope.

As soon as I picked up this book and saw it was in journal style, I was like "crap". I don't do books that are journal style or poetry style.  My problem, I already had all three of the books in this series. So I decide, I'll give it a try, I can always find something else to read, although it was highly recommended by a blogger that I had found very reliable in the past. Within a few chapters, I was totally captivated and totally unaware that it was written journal style. Even though, I quickly got tired of Amanda's bratty, poor me attitude (she was a teen after all) I continued on with this wonderful novel.  The twists and turns come at you very quickly and while earth as we knew it, was changing very,very quickly, Amanda matured at a much slower rate. You will cry with her and get angry at her but still  rejoice in the small day to day victories. This book stayed with me much longer than I would have thought which is why I've resisted writing the review to this awesome series. I was afraid that with time it would not be both horrifying and hopeful all at the same time. I was wrong. Though it has been months, this book has resonated  with me like no other. Every time, I check my pantry before going grocery shopping, this little mental bell goes off that makes me extra vigilant that I am well stocked.


Last Survivors
Life as We Knew It (2006)
The Dead and the Gone (2008)
This World We Live In (2010)

1 comment:

Darlyn said...

i'm looking forward to read the series. just found out about it while back and it sounds really promising!