BOOKS AND BLOGGING PHILOSOPHY

Philosophy is defined as a theory underlying or regarding a sphere of activity or thought. Well, my theory is if I can add at least 10 new books to my Wishlist and move at least 5 older Wishlist selections to my TBR list every month, then life is a ice cream sundae. And if I can find those 10 books from at least 5 new blogs each month then that's the cherry on top.

NEW VISITORS AND OLD- WELCOME!

NEW VISITORS AND OLD- WELCOME!
Well, I've made it almost 5 years now, so for better or worse, I continue on. I tend to blog in spurts as the urge to be creative erupts. As I don't have an artistic bone in my body, you will see very few changes in the layouts. Hey, I'm a reader not an artist like so many of the awesome bloggers I follow. I know you don't always have the time but if you stopped and looked, take a half a minute and say your piece. Recommend a book that you have enjoyed or hated for that matter. Thank you to all who visit.
Oh, and I moved my Google Friend Connect info and share this buttons to the top, as without our friends, who are we?


Thursday, December 20, 2018

Review of The Woman in Cabin 10 by Ruth Ware-3*

Title: The Woman in Cabin 10
Author: Ruth Ware 
Genre:  Psychological Thrillers

Rating: * * * 
Publishers: Gallery/Scout Press
(July 19, 2016)
Hardback: 352 pages
ISBN: 978-1501132933
FTC Disclosure: My copy

Lo Blacklock, a journalist who writes for a travel magazine, has just been given the assignment of a lifetime: a week on a luxury cruise with only a handful of cabins. The sky is clear, the waters calm, and the veneered, select guests jovial as the exclusive cruise ship, the Aurora, begins her voyage in the picturesque North Sea. At first, Lo's stay is nothing but pleasant: the cabins are plush, the dinner parties are sparkling, and the guests are elegant. But as the week wears on, frigid winds whip the deck, gray skies fall, and Lo witnesses what she can only describe as a dark and terrifying nightmare: a woman being thrown overboard. The problem? All passengers remain accounted for and so, the ship sails on as if nothing has happened, despite Lo's desperate attempts to convey that something (or someone) has gone terribly, terribly wrong. 

First of all, loved this cover. There's something about rubbing your hand over a book cover and actually feeling it that always pleases me. But as "they" say, "You can't judge a book by it's cover." That said, I didn't love the book. It wasn't bad just not very thrilling more blah than anything else. It wasn't a quick read, I had to push myself to finish it. Not sure I would have if it hadn't been a book club book. I liked the premise of the book and the murder mystery was twisty enough to keep me reading but I didn't connect with any of the characters at all. I found Lo particularly unsympathetic and found her final act to be totally out of character with how she was throughout the entire book. There were too many moments in the book where I really didn't care what happened next to outweigh the twisty moments. 
While I figured out part of the who dun it, gotta admit I wondered for a very long time if the initial break in had anything to do with the murder.
All in all, not the best psychological thriller I've read but definitely not the worst.

Ruth Ware grew up in Lewes, in East Sussex. After graduating from Manchester University she moved to Paris, before settling in north London. She has worked as a waitress, a bookseller, a teacher of English as a foreign language and a press officer. Married, with two small children, In a Dark, Dark Wood is her debut thriller.

No comments: