BOOKS AND BLOGGING PHILOSOPHY

Philosophy is defined as a theory underlying or regarding a sphere of activity or thought. Well, my theory is if I can add at least 10 new books to my Wishlist and move at least 5 older Wishlist selections to my TBR list every month, then life is a ice cream sundae. And if I can find those 10 books from at least 5 new blogs each month then that's the cherry on top.

NEW VISITORS AND OLD- WELCOME!

NEW VISITORS AND OLD- WELCOME!
Well, I've made it almost 5 years now, so for better or worse, I continue on. I tend to blog in spurts as the urge to be creative erupts. As I don't have an artistic bone in my body, you will see very few changes in the layouts. Hey, I'm a reader not an artist like so many of the awesome bloggers I follow. I know you don't always have the time but if you stopped and looked, take a half a minute and say your piece. Recommend a book that you have enjoyed or hated for that matter. Thank you to all who visit.
Oh, and I moved my Google Friend Connect info and share this buttons to the top, as without our friends, who are we?


Thursday, December 1, 2011

TOUCH OF POWER EXCERPT


Title: Touch of Power
Author: Maria V Snyder
Genre: Fantasy
Paperback: 400 pages 
Publisher: Mira (12/20/11) 
ISBN-10: 0778313077


Laying hands upon the injured and dying, Avry of Kazan absorbs their wounds and diseases into herself. But rather than being honored for her skills, she is hunted. Healers like Avry are accused of spreading the plague that has decimated the Fifteen Realms, leaving the survivors in a state of chaos.
Stressed and tired from hiding, Avry is abducted by a band of rogues who, shockingly, value her gift above the golden bounty offered for her capture. Their leader, an enigmatic captor-protector with powers of his own, is unequivocal in his demands: Avry must heal a plague-stricken prince—leader of a campaign against her people. As they traverse the daunting Nine Mountains, beset by mercenaries and magical dangers, Avry must decide who is worth healing and what is worth dying for. Because the price of peace may well be her life….
TOUCH OF POWER COUNTDOWN!

According to Snyder's publisher, TOUCH OF POWER will be out January 1st, but according to Amazon.com, it's going to be released December 20th.  So your bookstore might or might not have the book out before Christmas.  Call before you shop :)

UK-TOP
UK
AUTop 2
AU
















US
Also, the book will be released in the USA, the UK and Australia/New Zealand at the same time!  Here are the covers for all three editions - a beautiful trio! I've got to admit though, I  like the US cover the best. What do you think?
          
                                                
EXCERPT



I bided my time, keeping awake while Loren woke Quain for his shift and Quain roused Flea for his.  After Quain's breathing settled into a deep rhythm, I crept from my covers.  With one mournful look at my knapsack, I tugged my cloak around my shoulders and tip-toed away from the fire.  If anyone woke, I hoped the presence of my knapsack would make them assume I had just gone to the privy—which was a stinky side cavern I hated to use.

Flea sat on the top of a large boulder a few feet away from the cave's entrance.  As soon as he spotted me, he immediately slid down the side.

“What's wrong?” he asked in a whisper.

“Nothing.  I just needed some fresh air.”

“You shouldn't be out here.”

“Is there anyone around?”  It would be a surprise if there were.  Since I've been with Kerrick and his men, I've seen no one at all, yet they still carried their weapons at the ready.

“Not close, but there's a group of merchants—we hope—about two miles due east of here.  See their fire?”  He pointed.

I squinted into the darkness.  We stood on a slight rise.  A tiny pinprick of orange-yellow dotted the mound of trees. 

“How do you know they're merchants?”

“Wagons loaded with goods, horses and armed guards.  They could be mercenaries, but they have too much...stuff.  Mercenaries usually travel lighter.”

“How do you know all this?”

Flea grinned.  “Kerrick's already checked them out and determined they're probably harmless.  We have to be more careful now.  I'm sure the rumors about your rescue and our involvement have spread faster than the plague.  Twenty golds is a huge sum.  There are a few mercenary groups who would love to take you from us.”

Curious, I couldn't help asking, “Can they?”

“Not many,” he said with pride.  “But don't worry, Avry.  We're too smart to walk into an ambush.”

My heart squeezed with guilt and I hesitated.

“You better get inside.  If Kerrick finds you out here, I'm a goner.”

“All right.”  I turned to go, but stopped.  “Flea, don't move.”

He froze.  “What?”

“Kissing Spider.  Hold still.”  I touched the back of his neck with my hand.  I found the small area between the vertebra and shot my healing power into his spine.  He arched back in silent surprise before collapsing.

Catching him, I laid him down.  I arranged his limbs so he would be comfortable.  My stomach twisted as I pushed a lock of hair from his eyes.  Healers had a few ways to defend themselves, but we hated to use them.  And some, like the one I used on Flea, needed to hit the precise location or it wouldn't work.

I considered his size.  He'd wake in two, maybe three hours.  However, Belen's watch shift would start within an hour.  I needed to go.  Now.

Should I head toward the merchants and hope they’d protect me? 

No.  Basic survival—trust no one.  I ran west.
#
I discovered within minutes that running full speed through the forest at night wasn't my best idea.  After I wiped the dirt from my face and hands and regained my feet, I slowed my pace.  It would be hard to follow my trail in the dark so I hoped Kerrick would wait until dawn.

If I was lucky, I'd have a three or four hour head start and wouldn’t stumble into a Death Lily.  If I wasn't, I'd have one hour at most or become plant food.  I focused all my energy and concentration on putting as much distance between me and Kerrick as possible.

My luck held for once.  When the sun's rays diluted the darkness, I was able to see better and I increased my pace until I smelled smoke.  Skidding to a stop, I turned in a slow circle, seeking the direction of the fire.  When I found it, I crouched down and crept toward the source.

It wouldn't be good if I accidently ran into a band of mercenaries.  Better to know where they were and how many, then try to guess.  My progress through the underbrush was far from utter silence.  However, aside from a few rustles, I managed to get close enough to see into a clearing.

I counted ten sleeping bodies around the dying fire.  No horses.  But one guard slumped against a tree trunk with his mouth hanging open—also asleep.  Would they set two guards?  I searched the surrounding woods, seeking movement.  Nothing.

Satisfied, I backed away and bumped into someone.  I froze as the edge of a sword touched my neck.

“Gotcha.”


To read the first chapter click here:

No comments: