BOOKS AND BLOGGING PHILOSOPHY

Philosophy is defined as a theory underlying or regarding a sphere of activity or thought. Well, my theory is if I can add at least 10 new books to my Wishlist and move at least 5 older Wishlist selections to my TBR list every month, then life is a ice cream sundae. And if I can find those 10 books from at least 5 new blogs each month then that's the cherry on top.

NEW VISITORS AND OLD- WELCOME!

NEW VISITORS AND OLD- WELCOME!
Well, I've made it almost 5 years now, so for better or worse, I continue on. I tend to blog in spurts as the urge to be creative erupts. As I don't have an artistic bone in my body, you will see very few changes in the layouts. Hey, I'm a reader not an artist like so many of the awesome bloggers I follow. I know you don't always have the time but if you stopped and looked, take a half a minute and say your piece. Recommend a book that you have enjoyed or hated for that matter. Thank you to all who visit.
Oh, and I moved my Google Friend Connect info and share this buttons to the top, as without our friends, who are we?


Monday, January 3, 2011

Secret Society by Tom Dolby

  


Title: Secret Society 
Author: Tom Dolby
Genre: YA
Rating:  * * * *
Publishers Date: September 29, 2009
Hardback: 352 pages
Publisher: HarperTeen
ISBN: 006172162X
FTC Disclosure: Mine

Secrets, secrets are no fun. Secrets, secrets hurt someone. . . .
An eccentric new girl. A brooding socialite. The scion of one of New York's wealthiest families. A promising filmmaker. As students at the exclusive Chadwick School, Phoebe, Lauren, Nick, and Patch already live in a world most teenagers only dream about.
They didn't ask to be Society members. But when three of them receive a mysterious text message promising success and fame beyond belief, they say yes to everything—even to the harrowing initiation ceremony in a gritty warehouse downtown and to the ankh-shaped tattoo they're forced to get on the nape of their necks. Once they're part of the Society, things begin falling into place for them. Week after week, their ambitions are fulfilled. It's all perfect—until a body is found in Central Park with no distinguishing marks except for an ankh-shaped tattoo.

First of all I’m already dying to read the sequel, “The Trust” though it won’t be out until Feb 2011. The ending of this book was awesome. At times I thought the story dragged on a bit but once it got going, I could not put it down. The joining of the secret society was not as much an invitation as a command.  I loved the whole concept of the "Secret Society", that these teens were participating in whether they wanted to or not. I suspect that many of the items they were given and their homes were bugged as the Society knew so many of their likes and dislikes.  It was interesting to see the maneuverings of the Society as they virtually take over the lives of the privileged chosen ones.
The development of the characters was fascinating and very three dimensional as was the mystery of the Society itself. Unfortunately, (only because we have to wait till Feb ) by the end of the book you’ll have many more questions than answers. The romance in the book was so much more believable than we usually get in a YA book. It grew very slowly between Nick and Phoebe. And the confusion was so real that it was palpable. I liked that the 4 main characters questioned the success that came their way because of their elite membership in the Society rather than blithely accepting it. I’ve got to admit, I thought (why, I don’t know) that this secret society would have something to do with being immortal. Been reading to many paranormals, I guess. While this book may not be THE best one I’ve read this year, it’s in the top numbers and I suspect with the next book, its standing will raise a lot for me.




     Secret Society
1. Secret Society (2009)
2. The Trust (2011)

No comments: