BOOKS AND BLOGGING PHILOSOPHY

Philosophy is defined as a theory underlying or regarding a sphere of activity or thought. Well, my theory is if I can add at least 10 new books to my Wishlist and move at least 5 older Wishlist selections to my TBR list every month, then life is a ice cream sundae. And if I can find those 10 books from at least 5 new blogs each month then that's the cherry on top.

NEW VISITORS AND OLD- WELCOME!

NEW VISITORS AND OLD- WELCOME!
Well, I've made it almost 5 years now, so for better or worse, I continue on. I tend to blog in spurts as the urge to be creative erupts. As I don't have an artistic bone in my body, you will see very few changes in the layouts. Hey, I'm a reader not an artist like so many of the awesome bloggers I follow. I know you don't always have the time but if you stopped and looked, take a half a minute and say your piece. Recommend a book that you have enjoyed or hated for that matter. Thank you to all who visit.
Oh, and I moved my Google Friend Connect info and share this buttons to the top, as without our friends, who are we?


Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Wideacre By Philippa Gregory






                    Wideacre
         Author: Philippa Gregory
          Book Type: Paperback
           Rating:* *
            Review Date: 8/19/2008







  •             Paperback: 656 pages
  •             Publisher: Touchstone (July 2, 2003)
  •             ISBN-13: 978-0743249294

"Beatrice Lacey, as strong-minded as she is 
beautiful, refuses to conform to the social 
customs of her time. Destined to lose her 
family name and beloved Wideacre estate 
once she is wed, Beatrice will use any 
means necessary to protect her ancestral
 heritage. Seduction, betrayal, even murder
 -- Beatrice's passion is without apology or 
conscience. "She is a Lacey of Wideacre,"
 her father warns, "and whatever she does, 
however she behaves, will always be fitting."
 Yet even as Beatrice's scheming seems 
about to yield her dream, she is haunted 
by the one living person who knows the
 extent of her plans...and her capacity for evil."
Generally, I have fallen in love with most of 
Gregory's stories about Henry VIII's wives so I 
guess I was expecting too much from this 
series of books. Although, the book was okay, 
it definitely was not as good as her books on 
the royal family or even the gardeners of the 
royal family. I just never got really got hooked
 on the story of Beatrice, even though she was
 certainly an unusual character. She came off
 pretty much as a spoiled bitch and it was hard 
to find any sympathy for her. Everything that
 happened to her was brought on by her own 
selfish acts. Even though I am going to try to
 read the other two books in this series, I 
intend to wait awhile and see if they are better
 after an absence of Gregory's writing.

Wideacre
1. 
Wideacre (1987)
2. 
The Favoured Child (1989)
3. 
Meridon (1990)

No comments: